Monday, February 5, 2007

blog # 3

Since the last class, I have learned how to divide a word document into columns. I was able to make a newsletter from a blank word document using graphics, textboxes, word art, and columns. I found the use of textboxes and columns a little challenging, but was able to learn a lot from the implementation of the tools. I plan to use the information that I gathered in my career as a teacher, sending home various classroom newsletters throughout the school year. Chapter three discusses the use of different forms of software. I was most interested in the voice regonition of some types of software programs. In this type of software, the computer has the ability to differentiate among oral words. In order to use a speech recognition software, the user must have a microphone. Once the user begins to speak into the microphone, the computer begins typing the words. As an organized person, I was also interested in the database software. This software maintains a collection of information in an easily accessible, retrieved and easy to use method. The software acts as a storage bin of data; one in which a user can store, create, retrieve, and delete information. I will find this software beneficial when keeping assignments organized and distributing borrowed texts to students. I at first thought that I would be able to keep the students' grades in the database. However as I read further in the chapter I discvoered that there are grade book software that's specific use is for maintaining and averaging students' grades and progress. The programs have included everything into them, with the ability to: take roll, keep grades, apply curves, letter grade cutoffs, and customize the grading scale. I could also easily determine the class average and the top grade in each class. All of the software that is currently in supply, makes it easier for the teacher to focus less on menile tasks and more on the actual time spent teaching.

No comments: